In recognition of the extraordinary efforts contributed by our policy-covered staff members during these challenging times, the University is providing a 4.5% general increase to all eligible employees.
Increases will be effective June 26, 2022 for employees on bi-weekly payroll and July 1, 2022 for those paid monthly.
Please note, this salary program is contingent upon the 5 percent allocation currently in the State budget and is subject to change. While President Drake does not anticipate a change, in the event the current budget expectations are altered, he will provide an updated announcement at that time.
Although individual increases under this year’s salary program are not merit-based, the importance of the performance review process should not be discounted as such employees must be meeting expectations in order to be eligible. All policy-covered staff must continue to receive performance reviews at least annually as required in Staff Personnel Policy (PPSM 23: Performance Management).
Guidelines and eligibility criteria are noted below. This program does not apply to exclusively represented employees, whose salaries are determined in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements and/or meeting-and-conferring under the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA). Guidelines for academic appointees will be issued separately.
Only employees who meet the following requirement will be eligible for the 4.5% general salary increase, subject to the additional eligibility criteria below:
- Policy-covered staff who successfully completed probation.
- Policy-covered staff hired on or before December 31, 2021.
- Contract employees who worked 12 continuous months prior to July 1, 2022.
- Contract employees hired on or before July 1, 2021.
Participation in the General Salary Increase is based on an employee's salary and appointment as of March 31, 2022.
UC Merced Eligibility Exclusions
The follow criteria further outline specific exclusions to the eligibility criteria for UC Merced.
- Career employees on probation status as of July 1, 2022
- Student employees (casual restricted appointments)
- Academic appointees – guidelines for the Academic employee general salary increase program will be issued separately from the Academic Personnel Office
- Rehired retirees
- Individuals who receive promotions, reclassifications, transfers, or any other base salary adjustments on or after April 1, 2022 (except for those part of a campuswide equity program), are not eligible to participate in the General Salary Increase.
- Staff members whose most recent performance rating was “1 – Met Few Expectations,” or who have documented corrective/disciplinary action during the review period, as documented by Human Resources.
- Exclusively represented employees, whose salaries are determined in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements and/or meeting-and-conferring under the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA).
- Exclude employees in the following job titles that have been accreted to the union and are represented*:
- Behavioral Health Counselor 1
- Behavioral Health Counselor 2
- Behavioral Health Counselor 3
- Behavioral Health Counselor 4
- Library Professional 3
- Library Professional 4
- Systems Administrator 1
- Systems Administrator 2
- Systems Administrator 3
- Systems Administrator 3 GF
*The list above is not all-inclusive and may be updated at a later date. Any employees who are currently subject to a unit modification petition that are accreted into a bargaining unit on or before July 1, 2022, will receive increases pursuant to the applicable collective bargaining agreement and not under the policy-covered salary increase program.
Expected Payout Dates
For bi-weekly paid employees, increases will be effective June 26, 2022, and will be reflected in the July 20, 2022 paycheck.
For monthly-paid employees, increases will be effective July 1, 2022, and will be reflected in the August 1, 2022 paycheck.