Management Skills Assessment Program
The Management Skills Assessment Program (MSAP) is designed to strengthen the engagement and preparation of high potential UC supervisors, managers, and professionals. It offers an intensive, off-site, assessment center experience for early career managers.
The goal of the Management Skills Assessment Program MSAP is to address skill deficits and grow competencies that will prepare internal employees for future role opportunities in their UC workplaces.
MSAP is a unique assessment center experience which over time, cumulatively builds a valuable talent pipeline that assists the University in supporting upward mobility and deployments of talent as workforce needs unfold into the future. It fosters institutional loyalty among assessee participants, teaches assessors from UC locations enlightened and effective management practices, and benefits sponsoring departments and their locations by improving their participants in a variety of important ways - performance, role effectiveness, morale, and self-confidence.
MSAP offers two opportunities to participate:
- Participate as an assessee – MSAP assesses the management skills of high potential, early career supervisors, managers, and professionals for future leadership opportunities at the University of California. Participation will strengthen the engagement and preparation of high potential UC supervisors, managers, and professionals. We recommended that department heads encourage supervisors, managers, and professionals who exhibit potential for management development to apply. Applicants must have one or more years of service at UC (past probation, career status) as of the application deadline.
- Participate as an assessor - Assessors are trained to offer feedback about assessee strengths and development areas. They are experienced managers who have coaching experience, employee development experience, and experience leading or working with groups. First-time assessors are required to attend the two-day Assessor Training Program.
MSAP highlights include:
- Residential program at UCLA Conference Center in Lake Arrowhead
- 42 participants from University of California campuses, labs, medical centers, and Office of the President
- Aligned with the University of California core competencies
- Attractive networking event for aspiring and current supervisors/managers
- Simulated UC management scenarios
- Assessment of core competencies and skill dimensions by UC managers and peers
- Career development follow-up opportunities
MSAP is offered twice each year, once in the spring and again in the fall. Applications are currently being accepted for both spring/fall 2020 programs. The 2020 program dates are:
- Spring 2020: April 20 - 23 (Cancelled due to COVID-19)
- Fall 2020: October 12-15 (Cancelled due to COVID-19)
Completed spring/fall applications must be submitted online by specified deadline (TBD for 2021 and 2022)
- Application Process, Program Cost, and Selection Criteria
- Alignment to UC Core Competencies
- Program Outcomes
Should you have any questions about this program, please send an email to Yazi Navarro, UC Merced's MSAP Coordinator.