UC Merced Voluntary Separation Program for Staff
UC Merced has launched a local UC Merced Voluntary Separation Program (UCMVSP) as a way to address budget challenges. Under this local plan, the UCMVSP provides an opportunity for eligible employees to volunteer to be considered for separation effective April 30, 2021. Under the guidelines of the program, if their application is accepted, employees will receive a severance payment based on their classification and length of service at UC.
Policy-covered, regular status career staff employees, including employees on approved leaves are eligible. (Exclusions apply, please refer to UCMVSP for more details)
Participation by represented employees is subject to collective bargaining.
The following bargaining units are eligible to participate in the Voluntary Separation Program: Teamsters KM
- The application period is from January 11, 2021 through February 5, 2021 at 5:00PM
- Eligible employees should apply as soon as possible by submitting the UCMVSP application to their department head/dean
- Human Resources will communicate approval/declination by March 1, 2021
- Employee must separate April 30, 2021
If interested in participating in the UCMVSP, it’s critical that you first read the full details of UC Merced’s local Voluntary Separation Program.
The UCMVSP application must be submitted to your Department Head between January 11, 2021 through February 5, 2021 at 5:00PM.
For instructions on how to complete the UCMVSP application, please click here.
- The division/school is responsible for approving an employee’s request to participate in the UCMVSP and must demonstrate financial savings to justify the severance payments.
- Before the program can be deployed to a division, the division leader, must first identify what blanket groups within their organization are ineligible to participate.
- Department head/dean with approval to accept a voluntary separation may not fill the same position for at least 12 months in order to generate savings, unless an exception is granted (refer to UCMVSP for more details).
- Employees who participate in the UCMVSP may not return to UC employment for three years or are subject to a repayment.
For questions regarding the UCMVSP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org