Skip to content

What to do while you are still out on leave

Update your timecard appropriately to reflect your usage of vacation, sick, or leave without pay to avoid any discrepancies in your pay.

Supervisors: You will need to continue to review, approve, and submit your employee’s timecard while they are on leave. If your staff member is unable to update their timecard, please coordinate with Benefits and Payroll to assure their timecard is updated accurately.

If you go off pay status, you will need to pay for the employee contribution of benefits and/or both employer/employee contributions for benefits depending on your leave eligibility.

  • Coordinate with UCPath Center at 855-982-7284 to arrange to make your personal payments to continue your benefits (only if you are off pay status, i.e., not receiving a paycheck from UC Merced).
  • If enrolled in a Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and covered by FMLA – contact UCPath Center at 855-982-7284 to designate the status of your FSA Account during your leave.
  • If your leave was due to Pregnancy Disability Leave or Parental Bonding, notify the Leaves Office within 7 days of the birth of your child.
    • Remember to enroll your new baby into benefits (medical, dental, vision, legal, life, AD&D plans) within 31 days from date of birth. Navigate to UCPath Portal > Employee Actions > Health and Welfare > Life Events/Benefits Change. Select the appropriate life event and the wizard will guide you through the update process. If you need help with this process, please contact the UCPath Center at 855-982-7284.
    • If you are enrolled in an HMO, your newborn must be assigned to a pediatrician in the mother’s medical group until the first day of the calendar month following birth. Please call your medical plan with any questions about the PCP assignment for your newborn.

If your leave is extended beyond the date originally identified by your health care provider, immediately notify your assigned Benefits Analyst and your supervisor.