Health and welfare benefits begin on your date of hire, but it can take up to 30 -60 days before the medical, dental, vision and/or legal plans will have your new eligibility added to the insurance membership systems.
If you have an urgent health situation or need to fill a prescription, you can speed up your enrollment by calling the insurance member services.
Please complete the following steps to speed-up your enrollment in the insurance membership system:
- Complete your UC new employee enrollment on At Your Service Online.
- The next day, verify that your enrollment is in the UC system by checking “Health and Welfare - Current Enrollments” on At Your Service Online.
- Call the health plan’s member services and identify yourself as a new member who is calling to verify eligibility.
- Ask if you are “active” in the insurance membership system.
- If you are not, complete the following steps:
- Ask to speak with the membership unit or a member services representative who is authorized to use the University of California Carrier Eligibility Website.
- Ask the representative to manually enter your enrollment into the insurance membership system.
- Ask the representative for your Member ID and Group Number.
- If you need a prescription, ask the representative to inform the pharmacy unit of your new eligibility.
- Ask how long it will be before your pharmacist/doctor’s office can access your new member information (it should be no more than one or two days).
- When that time frame has elapsed, you can pick up prescriptions or visit your doctor.
- Print a Temporary ID Card
You can print a temporary ID card on the following insurance websites after your membership has been activated. Register as a new member using your Member ID and Group Number
- Anthem: Select “Customer Care” tab
- Health Net: Select “Print a Temporary ID”
- Delta PPO: Select “Eligibility and Benefits”
If you are having trouble enrolling with your carrier, or have questions about this process, please contact your Health Care Facilitator.