UC Merced recently launched My UC Career, a self-directed, online career development portal available to all UC employees. Career development is a focus area across the university, and the portal supports employees who want to grow their UC career. A UC email address is all that’s needed to register for an account.
The systemwide My UC Career portal provides access to job openings at all UC locations via the Systemwide Job Board, as well as resources and tools to create and refine resumes, write cover letters, identify strengths, practice interviewing and find professional networking opportunities.
UC Merced Talent Development Manager Rachael Martin says the portal is a valuable tool for future-focused employees who are committed to the University of California.
“We want employees to feel free to chart their own courses professionally, which means considering opportunities for growth here and at other UC sites,” she said. “This portal will help employees set goals and work toward achieving them.”
The portal consists of the following six, easy to use modules:
- Begin Career Discovery: Use personal assessments to help identify values, personality, skills, and talents.
- Job Search: Leveraging the existing Systemwide Job Board, in one search, view all UC opportunities by job type, location, or career level. Create multiple alerts for new postings that are most interesting.
- Resume: Build a new resume or revise an existing resume using the step by step online resume workshop that uses answers to automatically build an accomplishment-based resume tailored to the identified career path. View resume building guides and resume samples by position or type.
- Tell Your Story: Create a pitch statement, cover letter, and references to tell what the employee has to offer and how they can help the organization succeed. Use the step by step online workshop to automatically build each document. View samples of each type of document.
- Network and Research: Optimize social media presence and use research tools to help leverage employee networks that uncover additional career opportunities.
- Pre and Post Interview: Practice interview skills by recording video interviews using pre-recorded portal interviewers that ask the employee questions review interview type guides, create a post-interview thank you note, and review the offer negotiation guide and decision-making tools.
Additional information about My UC Career and other career development resources is available by contacting Talent Development at email@example.com; or via the following website: https://hr.ucmerced.edu/talent-development.